By Jean-Michel Rabaté
- Broadens the research of canonical texts and creative occasions via displaying their cultural and international parallels
- Examines a couple of simultaneous inventive, literary, and political endeavours together with these of Yeats, Pound, Joyce, Du Bois and Stravinsky
- Explores Pound's Personae subsequent to Apollinaire's Alcools and Rilke's Spanish Trilogy, Edith Wharton's The customized of the Country subsequent to Proust's Swann's Way
Read Online or Download 1913: The Cradle of Modernism PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
In Literary Modernism and past, Richard Lehan tracks the evolution of modernism from its emergence within the past due 19th century to its contemporary incarnations. during this wide-ranging examine, Lehan demonstrates how and why the ôoriginary imaginative and prescientö of modernism replaced notably after it won prominence.
Modernism's different paintings demanding situations deeply held serious ideals in regards to the meaning-in specific the political meaning-of modernism's dedication to the murals as an item indifferent from the realm. Ranging over works of poetry, fiction, portray, sculpture, and movie, it argues that modernism's center aesthetic problem-the artwork's prestige as an item, and a subject's relation to it-poses basic questions of supplier, freedom, and politics.
Greater than a century after its beginnings, modernism nonetheless has the facility to surprise, alienate or problem readers. Modernist artwork and literature stay considered advanced and hard. This creation explains in a readable, energetic kind how modernism emerged, the way it is outlined, and the way it constructed in several varieties and genres.
Deafening Modernism tells the tale of modernism from the point of view of Deaf serious perception. operating to enhance a severe Deaf concept self sufficient of identity-based discourse, Rebecca Sanchez excavates the intersections among Deaf and modernist reviews. She strains the ways in which Deaf tradition, historical past, linguistics, and literature supply an important and principally untapped source for knowing the heritage of yank language politics and the effect that heritage has had on modernist aesthetic creation.
- Modernist Women Writers and War: Trauma and the Female Body in Djuna Barnes, H.D., and Gertrude Stein
- Modern Realism in English-Canadian Fiction
- Since Beckett: Contemporary Writing in the Wake of Modernism (Continuum Literary Studies)
- Sex Theories and the Shaping of Two Moderns: Hemingway and H.D. (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- The Dialect of Modernism: Race, Language, and Twentieth-Century Literature: Race, Language and Twentieth-century Literature (Race and American Culture)
- Wittgenstein and Modernism
Extra info for 1913: The Cradle of Modernism